Thursday

Review, Interview, Excerpt & Book Trailer : The Plus One Chronicles by Jennifer Lyon (CR)




Series Spotlight Info

The Plus One Chronicles

A wicked proposition…
A sensual possession…
A dark obsession...
The Plus One Chronicles: Searing passion and fiery vengeance collide in three explosive books.


THE PROPOSITION
The Plus One Chronicles, Book 1


Available now

Rich, sexy and volatile, Sloane Michaels has a dark agenda that keeps his heart on ice. His extreme wealth gives him the control he craves and his skills as an ex UFC fighter the tools he’ll need to extract his ultimate revenge. But when the woman he never believed he’d see again crosses his path, Sloane is caught between the vengeance he needs and a sexual conquest he craves.

Kat Thayne has been in survival mode for six years, hiding behind the sweet creations for her bakery. But when a random carjacking brings her face-to-face with her darkest fears and hottest fantasy, Kat is forced out of hiding and offered a dangerously passionate proposition. One she knows she isn’t strong enough to refuse.

Book Trailer



POSSESSION
The Plus One Chronicles, Book 2


Available now


**Please note: Possession is book two of a three book series. Readers should start with The Proposition.**

Savagely sexy billionaire Sloane Michaels ruthlessly controls his life and everything in it. Even his sex partners are carefully negotiated plus-one arrangements, including his latest, the fiery bakery owner, Kat Thayne. But Sloane’s control is challenged when his mentor becomes seriously ill, and his need for Kat, his need to possess her at all costs, rivals only his single-minded goal of vengeance for the murder of his sister.



After surviving an attack six years ago, Kat Thayne escaped her fears in the protective world of her beloved bakery. Then Sloane Michaels storms into her life, making her feel beautiful, strong and sexy. Yet as Kat pushes her boundaries and uncovers a dangerous secret in her past, Sloane’s controlling side emerges. Worried that Sloane will possess her mind, body and soul, Kat fights to keep her hard won independence. But just as Sloane demands her complete surrender, she discovers he has a dark side that could destroy them both.


**Possession is an adult contemporary novel and is not intended for younger readers due to mature content.**


OBSESSION
The Plus One Chronicles, Book 3


Coming 9/24/13

Toot's Review




Just finished book 1 and book 2 in Jennifer Lyon's Plus One Trilogy and I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed this CR, so far. The last book in the series comes out sometime in September 24, 2013. As you might have guessed, or maybe not, this is definitely up the Billionaire alley of the CR genre. Yep there's an uber rich man, with a tortured past who meets a bakery shop owner who's haunted by a tragedy. What I liked about this take on the genre, is that the heroine is unique while the hero is kinda cookie cutter but no less hot and totally drool worthy but as the series goes on, our hero, Sloane, does become a more complex character. Our heroine, Kat, on the other hand, is totally complex. She started out with a life of leisure, she has super smart, multiple doctorate parents, a loving brother and a totally shelter life. She had a nice job as a chemist herself and was engaged to a man her family loved but that all changed one night.......she and her fiancé were mugged, she was beaten badly with a baseball bat and her life was never the same. Six years later, she meets a darkly handsome Billionaire named Sloane, whom wants to get to know her better and offers her a proposition she can't refuse. He offers to help her put her life back together in exchange for being his "Plus-One" for after hours engagements but unbeknownst to her, he has his own sorted past which might cross hers?

When we first meet the two, they are worlds apart. She's a lonely Bakery owner with a bad limp and scared of everything while he's this towering, ruggedly handsome, Billionaire, off-limits, worldly man with a vendetta. The books are taken from both characters POV and the author does a great job of moving the story along. She never really gets too bogged down in the everyday details, which I loved! Can't tell you how many books I end up skimming because the author decides to tell us about the cracks in a coffee cup (I'm totally not exaggerating, I could name the book but I won't) The books are fairly short, roughly 120-150 pages each and are meant to be read in order. I blew through these two in a day. These are definitely steamy and super smexy but it follows the story and isn't out of context. I'll just say this, soon as I finished the second book, I was looking to preorder the third but alas, it's not available as of yet.

If you're a CR junky like I am, you like the uber rich guys genre, want a quick read that's well written and will leave you all gooey inside, grab this series! You won't be disappointed.

I give it 4 out of 5


Author Interview


Hi Jennifer,

Thank you so much for sitting down with Toot's for an interview. If you don't mind, I have some questions for you about the series and your process for our budding authors as well as fans, which I am definitely among!

So first off, Plus One Chronicles Questions.......

In your own words, what is the Plus One Chronicles series about?

Thank you so much for having me here today! 

The Plus One Chronicles is the series title, and it’s about Sloane’s need to keep control. He grew up in emotional chaos, with a mom chasing after fairy tale love to a disastrous end. Sloane isn’t going down that road so he doesn’t date, he “plus ones,” choosing a woman and making an agreement with her. He sees this as clean and no one gets hurt.

Kat agrees to the idea because she is striving to overcome panic attacks and get stronger. She doesn’t want a man trying to control her.

By the end of book 1, THE PROPOSITION Kat recognizes she’s getting in too deep, that there’s a part of her that wants to rely on Sloane and that terrifies her. 

Sloane, however, is convincing himself he still has control. Because he doesn’t believe that love is real, he’s sure this sizzling hot attraction between them will die a natural death. 

But in book 2, POSSESSION, everything begins to change. Sloane is facing the brutal reality that Drake, his mentor who has been like a father to Sloane, is dying. It’s ripping Sloane apart and there’s nothing he can do to change it. Although he does move Drake into his house and care for him, that’s not enough for Sloane. The more he feels Drake slipping away, the more he’s driven to hold onto Kat.

Kat is learning to trust Sloane as they move from plus-ones to committed lovers…until Kat learns that Sloane has a dark secret that can destroy them both.

Book 3, OBSESSION is the explosive conclusion, giving Kat and Sloane their happily ever after.

The Plus One Chronicles is a love story about two people who discover that together they can rise to heights they never imagined.

How did you come up with the title of the series and of the current book?

The title came to me while I was out to breakfast with my husband, and we were talking about a family member who had a plus-one friend. They are just friends, but accompany each other to events. It’s something they’ve done for years now. That caught my attention, and I thought it was a great premise: What if a rich, powerful man never dates, never has relationships, but only has a plus-one? A woman who will go to events with him and warm his bed? Who is his man, why is he that way? 

As for the title POSSESSION, that’s all about Sloane’s emotional need for Kat in book 2. But it takes him a while to put a name (love) on it. I love Sloane in this book, he’s truly trying to stay in control when there’s simply no controlling love. 

What was your favorite scene to write for your hero or heroine?

One of my favorite scenes is where Kat walks into Sloane’s house. She doesn’t realize Sloane is home, and she’s there to help Sloane’s mentor, Drake. For Sloane it’s a pivotal moment, his guard is down, and he’s just so glad to see her. Here an excerpt:

After his shower, Sloane was striding barefoot through his living room when he heard his front door open. He swung left and stopped. “Kat.” 

She stepped in, laden with two grocery bags and froze. “Sloane, oh. Sorry.” Color darkened the delicate skin across her cheekbones. “I thought you weren’t getting home until later tonight.” 

He took the bags from her. “What’s in here?” He glanced in one bag and saw a couple rotisserie chickens, deli containers and a bottle of ginger ale. “You bought all this?”

“I thought I’d see if Drake could hold down a little rice with some white meat chicken in it.” She was so tense, her lips were almost white.

“What’s wrong? Is your leg hurting?” 

“No more than usual. I just… God, I walked right into your house. I swear I thought you weren’t coming home until around midnight, and I didn’t want Drake to get up if he was comfortable. Sherry, with Diego’s help, has hired some new nurses that are starting tomorrow. I was just going to sit with Drake since Ethan would be busy getting you. But you’re here so I can leave. Uh, how was your trip?”

She was babbling, but he couldn’t tear his eyes from her. Her hair flowed down around her shoulders, those delicate pink streaks standing out against the brown, and her face was scrubbed clean. She smelled of soap and that luscious scent of Kat, his baker girl. Hell, just the sound of her voice soothed his ravaged guts. Sloane set the bags on the side table in his foyer, then pulled Kat into his arms. 

She fit. Her softness sank into him. Christ he’d missed her. Tugging her head back, he got lost in her eyes. “You walking into my house? Best damn thing that’s happened to me all week. Don’t leave.” He needed her. Needed this. 

“I’ll stay.” Her voice softened into the sweet and sexy kitten he was coming to know so well.

Unable to resist, he lifted her to his mouth, hungry to taste her, to fill the bitter despair with Kat. 

She folded her arms around him, her fingers burying in his damp hair as she pulled his mouth closer. In seconds, the kiss heated and flamed. Sloane wanted nothing more than to carry her up to his room and shut out the world. 

But he couldn’t. Not yet. Breaking their kiss, he smiled at her. “Let’s go put this dinner together.” He grabbed the bags and followed Kat into his kitchen. She had on some ass-hugging jeans.

Which made him remember their conversation a couple days ago. He fought down a groan. She had asked him to sp…

Oops don’t want to give too much away there.

What was the hardest scene to write?

When Sloane talks to Kat about his sister.

*with a wink* What type and how much research did you have to do for the series?

Why yes I did! But not that kind of research, LOL! I just research what I need, a few facts about UFC, baking, and various things that come up. I really can’t remember all I did. But I did more research when writing the first book, THE PROPOSITION. 

Writing.......

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated and what made you decide to pursue it as a career?

It’s been a process for me. It began when I was very young and the little boy down the street was killed in an accidental shooting (a horrible tragedy). I was so scared I would tell myself stories to go to sleep at night. I basically never stopped. In my teenage years, life was tough, reading was an escaped and I dreamed of being a writer. But it wasn’t until after I was married and we had our three sons that I decided to go for it and try to write a book.

What inspires you to put the pen to paper or fingers to the keyboard?

The characters and needing to tell their story!

What are some of the elements in/of your writing process?

My process is a big mess. I come up with a premise and characters, and then I write. My first half of my first draft takes the longest and is by far the hardest part for me. I just keep going until I find the story and tell it to the best of my ability. After the first draft is done, I revise and rewrite until I’m happy or run out of time.

You have different pen names for different books, is there any difference between them?

Jennifer Lyon is edgier, grittier and has a potty mouth. Jennifer Apodaca has slightly more class, but not a lot 

I began my writing career as Jennifer Apodaca with the Samantha Shaw series, then wrote a few stand alones and novellas. Then I developed my beloved paranormal series, The Wing Slayer Hunters. I chose a pen name so as not to confuse my readers by the big shift. So Jennifer Lyon was born. 

Then everything in publishing has changed drastically with electronic publishing. These days, the way I differentiate between the two names is:

Jennifer Apodaca is for the work I contract with publishers, and I give readers a more traditional (but still sexy) story.

Jennifer Lyon is the name for in my Indie (self publishing) works and anything goes that I think serves the story I’m telling.

Is anyone confused? LOL! 

What's next for you?

I have three projects in my immediate future. As Jennifer Lyon, I need to write Obsession, book 3 in The Plus One Chronicles. My target date to publish that is Sept. 24th, but I’ll be honest, I may have to push that date back.

As Jennifer Apodaca, I have two more books to write in my Once A Marine Series, published by Entangled Publishing. The first book in the series, The Baby Bargain did really well, totally surprising and thrilling me. 

Personal questions......

Now I know this is like asking you to choose between your own children, but out of all your amazing stories, who is your favorite character and why?

Right now, Sloane and Kat. It’s always the one I’m working on at the time. 

But I can say this, I have a special connection to Kat. She came to me while my son was recovering from a serious leg injury much like Kat’s. So I know first hand the struggles she went through. And Sloane because he sees what I do in Kat; A Beautiful Survivor

But I can tell you reasons why I love almost all my characters and fill up pages and pages. So I’ll stop!

Are there any of your stories that hold a special place in your heart?

NIGHT MAGIC The way Phoenix loves Ailish, a blind witch, gets me every time. And Key from SINFUL MAGIC because I love the dragon in him, Dyfyr. 

Who is your favorite author/s and what is it that really strikes a chord with you about their work?

My favorite is whatever book I’m reading at the time—if I love it. Right now, I’m reading ROCK WITH ME by Kristen Proby and loving it. The characters are engaging, and their emotions vivid. 

Other than yours, are there any books or authors you'd recommend for your readers?

My list is so long I don’t know where to start, and I always fear leaving my author-friends out. So this is the question I avoid.

Lastly, let's steal an idea from the magazines.....What 5 things do fans not know about you and 5 they don't know about the book?

5 Things about me:

1) I often read series books out of order because I’m very impulsive about my reading choices.

2) I have zero artistic ability. I can’t sing, dance or draw. 

3) I seriously can’t remember the last time I put gas in my car. My husband does it for me. 

4) I only read electronic books now. Reading on my Kindle is easy and convenient.

5) I hate mayonnaise. 

5 things about POSSESSION

1) Sloane has two black belts (in different disciplines)

2) There’s a sex scene that kept me up nights with worry, but it wasn’t my decision, it was the characters.

3) Kat likes to watch dance shows and tricks Sloane into watching one with her.

4) We get to see where Sloane lives.


THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for taking time to answer some questions. You are awesome with awesomesauce slathered on! *ok totally gonna stop gushing now* 

Thank you! It’s absolutely my pleasure! 

Author Info


Jennifer Lyon grew up under the shadow of the Matterhorn at Disneyland in Anaheim, California. She attended Walt Disney elementary school and her very first playmate was her beloved dog, Duke, who was cast in the role of hero in all their adventures.

Clearly Jen was born to daydream. But it took her years to figure out how to turn her imagination into a career as an author. After marrying and becoming a full time mom to three sons, Jen launched her career with the award winning Samantha Shaw Mystery Series and other romantic mysteries under the name Jennifer Apodaca. Later, she took the name Jennifer Lyon, combined her love of witches, alpha males and sizzling romance into another award winning series, the Wing Slayer Hunters.

Jennifer has several new releases coming out this year.  THE PROPOSITION, the first book in her new Plus One Chronicles was just released on February 24 and following later in the year will be Book Two: POSSESSION - Coming 5/28/13 and Book Three: OBSESSION - Coming 9/24/13.

Writing under Jennifer Apodaca she will be releasing the first book in her Once A Marine series, titled THE BABY BARGAIN which will be out in March 2013 from Entangled Publishing in their Indulgence line.  

For more information on Jen or her books, please visit her website or follow her on Facebook, Twitter and Goodreads.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jenn - How can you say you have no artistic ability? You write - that is an amazing art and you can bake you a storm :)!

    I'm finally noticing that THE OBSESSION comes out the end of September. It will be starting to get cool here and it will come just in time to cool me off - ha ha.

    vsloboda(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the giveaway!! *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Viki, I appreciate that, both those feel like acquired skills more than talent :-)

    But no pressure on Obsession, right? just has to be hot enough ti keep you burning during the cool fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lea, fingers crossed for you :-)

    ReplyDelete