Tuesday

Spotlight & Author Interview : The Position by Dahlia Salvatore



Book Blurb & Info

Dylan Farrow puts on his pants every morning one leg at a time, just like everyone else at the Kerrigan Advertising Agency. He handles high-pressure projects with a fast turnaround. He’s prized for his keen intellect and admirable performance. But how did he get where he is today—to the level of Junior Executive of Design Production?

Well, that involves how he takes his pants off…
and for whom…

Hoping to break through the glass ceiling under which she’s been trapped for years, Valerie Caplan picks up her life and moves to Seattle. After hearing about the position of Senior Executive of Design Production from an art director at Kerrigan, she decides to apply. When she lands the big interview, she never thinks for a minute that she’ll have any serious competition. She assumes that she has the job in the bag…until she discovers that the only competition has something she doesn’t have—the willingness to go outside the office to impress Danica Stewart, their uptight female boss.


Buy Links
Amazon / Goodreads

Teaser



Author Interview


Hi Dehlia,

Thank you so much for sitting down with Toot's for an interview. If you don't mind, I have some questions for you about your new book, The Position and your process for our budding authors as well as fans.

So first off, The Position Questions.......

In your own words, what is The Position about?

The Position is about two very different people put in a place where they have to both compete with each other and work together to get to a goal. Things get a little spicy as feelings come into the mix. The ambitions of their boss comes into play, too.

How did you come up with the title of the book and can you tell us its significance?

It's a triple entendre. “The Position” alludes to both the idea of a place people assume in respect to achieving their goals and the sexual phrase “Assume the Position”. “Assuming the position” usually has a sexual connotation, whereby the person on the receiving end is being told how to position their body. The deeper meaning, for me anyway, is that it means to put yourself in a place to work hard or accept hardship in order to achieve a goal. “The Position” also refers to the target goal that both of the main characters set out to reach in the company.

Is The Position a standalone book or will it be part of a series?

There will be a second book related to their boss, but will have nothing to do with them, so it's less a series and more of a spinoff book. Danica was too awesome not to plan a book for her, too.

What genre would you say The Position is and what sets your book apart for fans of the genre?

It's an erotic romance. What sets it apart? I would have to say that the ending was less dramatic than some people expected. They thought it'd be a lot more emotional, when it was more of a gentle conclusion. I think books in this genre tend to have a more dramatic ending, but The Position came to a very natural, relaxed end.

What are some of the elements of the world you created?

I created Kerrigan Advertising, which is where both of the characters work. This had an interesting structure, I believe because it was modeled after how I would run an advertising firm. I tend to feel like business should be more collaborative and less departmental, though there are departments, they are really cohesive and dependent on each other. Communication is also a key element at Kerrigan, which is what I would encourage if I had my own advertising firm.

I also created the Red House. This was modeled after both a personal experience and imagination. I can't give away too many details about it, since a good portion of the story takes place there, but there will be more about The Red House eventually. It was a great setting for the events that unfolded and I'd love to revisit it in future books.

I'm a big jazz fan and the jazz club I created for The Position is named after one of my favorite tenor saxophonists Hank Mobley's album/song “Soul Station”. Look the song up on youtube some time. The entire album is pretty awesome.

If you had to pick one thing, what is your favorite thing about the world you’ve created?

I'd say the Red House, probably. It's certainly the most interesting setting in the book.

What was your favorite scene to write for either your hero or heroine in The Position?

Oh boy. That's a hard one. There are a few.

The boardroom scene is one of my favorites.

The first time Dylan visits the Red House.

The ending.

Those are the three that stick out foremost in my mind.

What was the hardest scene to write?

Hardest? Probably the climax. Writing love scenes is like baking, you have to have the exact right ingredient measurements to have the right outcome. I had to review this one a few times because it was so significant.

What's your favorite line or quote from The Position?

“Run, Valerie, but eventually you'll come running right back to me.” - Dylan

Writing.......

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated and what made you decide to pursue it as a career?


I've been writing since I can remember. I've always loved reading and writing seemed to be next in the logical progression. They are both hosts to the other. Reading leads to writing leads to reading, and so on.

I don't considering writing a career. I consider it a monetized hobby. The real joy comes in having people read the stories and enjoy them. I really don't do it for the money.

What inspires you to put the pen to paper or fingers to the keyboard?

I have so many characters talking to me in my head that if I don't write about them, the noise becomes unbearable and I mean that in the least insane-sounding way. I'm not crazy, my mom had me checked out. (lol)

What are some of the elements in/of your writing process?

I need music and I need to be uninterrupted. Once I get in the zone, I have to have little to no distractions.

Are you a Plotter or a Panster?

A plotter. There's both madness and method in my work, though, since my outlines are loose and always subject to change.

Have you released anything under a different pen name, and if so, is there any difference between them?

I have, actually. The other work is more historical fiction than anything else.

What's next for you?

After The Position I wrote another novel which has yet to be announced. I will be announcing that in the next few weeks and it should be sent to my editor within the next week or so.

I'm currently writing the first in a trilogy with a revenge theme. I can't wait for you folks to meet the heroine of that series. She's one BAMF.

Is there anything you’d like to add or say to your fans?

Oh my gosh. THANKS, guys. Seriously. I have some of the best readers in the whole world rooting for me. I feel so incredibly happy that they pick my books up. The feedback from my betas is priceless.

Personal questions......

Now I know this is like asking you to choose between your own children, but out of all your amazing characters, who is your favorite and why?


Of all my characters? Without a doubt, I'd have to say that my favorite character is Brooke Wessex from my upcoming novel. She is so incredibly real to me, not because we're alike, but because her experiences are made up of so many stories and conversations I've had about marriage with my friends and a few experiences from my own marriage. She tells it like it is. I think a LOT of women will be able to relate to her. Her perspective is truly unique in that it's a reverse of some of the marriages most people experience—or if they do experience it, those marriages go untalked about most of the time.

Are there any of your stories or characters that hold a special place in your heart?

Body Language, my first novel, is one of the most important books to me. Carmen and Jacob live interesting lives dealing with their struggles and come together in the end in a surprising way. It was also my first novel, done for my first NANOWRIMO, so its existence encompasses a lot of “firsts” for me.

If the book had to have a theme song, what would it be?

All Time Low by Nine Inch Nails

It has the theme of drug addiction (that is my interpretation of the lyrics anyway), but to me, the feeling of being in love is similar to the high produced by drugs—though the consequences of love are not quite so detrimental. Plus the song is sexy as hell.

Lastly, What 5 things do fans not know about you and 5 they don't know about the book?

About Me:

1 – If I had to choose who I was most like in my book, it'd have to be Dylan.

2 – On average, it takes me two months to write a book.

3 – I'm afraid of heights.

4 – I'm a massive music and classic film junkie.

5 – I am not a coffee person.

About the Book:

1 – Dylan Farrow is the name of Woody Allen and Mia Farrow's adoptive daughter, but I didn't know that until I'd written half of it already. I named him after Dylan Thomas (one of my favorite poets) and Bob Dylan. His name was almost Dean after James Dean.

2 – Valerie is a name I don't see used often and a co-worker at one of my previous jobs who was a workaholic was named Valerie.

3 – Danica's physical traits are modeled after actress Monica Bellucci.

4 – One of my characters from Body Language is in the scene which takes place at Soul Station.

5 – “Ariane Chavasse” is Valerie's contact on Labelle's marketing team. That name was taken from the 1957 film “Love in the Afternoon” starring Gary Cooper, Maurice Chevalier, and Audrey Hepburn. Hepburn played a young girl, Ariane Chavasse, who falls in love with Gary Cooper's character Frank Flannagan. It was a way for me to tip my hat to a film I love so very very much. The song played in the movie, Fascination is one of my favorite songs ever. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAtiZApc2sU)

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for taking time to answer some questions. Congratulations on the new book and I can't wait for everyone to read it! – Toot’s

Author Info

Dahlia Salvatore is a thirty-two-year-old female author living in Seattle, Washington with her husband. She comes from Coos Bay, Oregon and moved to Seattle six years ago. She loves the west coast and doesn’t see herself anywhere else.

Her influences include contemporary writers J.K. Rowling, Mary Balogh, Christina Dodd, Stephanie Laurens, Laurell K. Hamilton, Anne Rice, Stephen King, and many many others.

Social Media Links:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorDahliaSalvatore
Twitter: @authordahliaS
Website: http://www.dahliasalvatore.com

No comments:

Post a Comment