Sunday

Rogue Rider by Larissa Ione (PNR)




Blurb from larissaione.com
Jillian Cardiff came to this remote mountain town to forget the demon attack that almost killed her. Instead, she rescues-and falls for-a gorgeous stranger who has no memory of anything other than his name. Handsome, charming, and protective, Reseph seems like the kind of man whom Jillian can trust. But with hints of a troubling history of his own, he's also the kind of man who can be very dangerous . . .
Reseph may not know why he mysteriously appeared in Jillian's life, but he knows he wants to stay. Yet when Jillian's neighbors are killed, and demon hunters arrive on the scene, Reseph fears that he's putting Jillian in danger. And once it's revealed that Reseph is also Pestilence, the Horseman responsible for ravaging the world, he and Jillian must face the greatest challenge of all: Can they forget the horrors of a chilling past to save the future they both desire?

To buy, click here
Rogue Rider (Lords of Deliverance)


As a new reader to Larissa Ione, I really was interested in her new release Rogue Rider. It's #4 in her LOD (Lords of Deliverance) series. Because I am new to her, I wanted to start with the first book in the series and read my way through to the newest release. The LOD series is a spin-off from her very popular Demonica series, again which I have not read. In this spin-off, the 4 books so far are centered around the four horsemen of the apocalypse. This premise is what intrigued me most and why I decided to start from the beginning of the series with book #1 (you can't cull just one horsemen) and I'm so glad that I did decide to start from the beginning because Rogue Rider is the story of Reseph or Petulance. There's a long drawn out history with him and unless you know his whole history through the series of books, the impact of Rogue Rider as a standalone is greatly diminished. So first, I recommend reading the other LOD stories before reading this one. With that being said, I probably enjoyed this story the most out of the series so far. The hero, Reseph, probably had the most growth out of the entire four characters thus far but knowing he had a 3 book build up, it was to be expected. The heroine, Jillian, also was a good character as well. She was a very strong although definitely a typical PNR heroine. What I liked probably most about the entire book was still the horseman premise. You don't find many PNR dealing with the 4 horsemen as main characters even though I have come a crossed them mentioned in others. With that being said, what did irk me the most was the plot holes and how much the story skipped around. I don't think I have read a book recently that has skipped so many major plot build ups and then wrapped them up in just a few lines. I'm not sure if they were referencing events that took place in her Demonica series and these were just references to those events or if the author really just didn't feel like they were relevant enough to the story to be explained in further detail but as a reader, I really felt quiet jipped. I don't like an event to have build up, only to have another character come on stage and just say something trite like "Oh never mind,  it's all taken care of" and then move on with the story, it's like what???? Man I hope I'm explaining this properly? Anywho, what I'm getting at I guess would be continuity, plot holes and pacing. Some events were long battles with epic events and some were just referenced. As I had mentioned before, I read the four books and let me tell you, this is nothing new to the series. This inconsistency is definitely a recurring theme and threw me out of the story often. I also felt that even though the story premise is unique enough, the stories so far were very predictable in the PNR world. So for example, In previous stories, our hero was a very bad man. He is the brother/horseman that turned bad, did horrendous evil things but shock of shocks, he's turned back into his original nice self, memory wiped and thrust into the human world where a nice human girl rescues him. And through the power of love and her acceptance they have their HEA. Yep, totally PNR predictable but that's what we love about romance, right?
Overall, if you want to read this book, start with the first book in the series or you won't get the full impact of Rogue Rider. It's not a good stand alone. Also, be careful of plot holes, the road is definitely littered with them.


3 out of 5 books

No comments:

Post a Comment