Wednesday

Review: Across the Distance by Marie Meyer



Book Blurb

There’s a drawer I never open. It holds a picture I never look at. It reminds me of a day I hate to remember, but I’ll never forget.

I’d give anything to be like the other girls on campus. Going to parties, flirting with boys, planning for a future. But that’s not me. And hasn’t been since the day my parents died. The only thing that got me through was Griffin. Even though I didn’t have my family, I always had him. Only, now I’m not so sure I do.
It’s not just the eleven hundred miles separating us now that I’m at college. And it’s more than his band finally taking off, and all the gigs and girls suddenly demanding his time. It’s like everything is different—the way we talk, the way we text . . . the way he looks at me and the way his looks make me feel.
Griffin has been the only good thing in my life since that horrific day. I can feel our friendship slipping away—and I’m terrified of what will be left in its place…

Links

Toot's Review by Stacy Sabala

Jillian is going to design school in Rhode Island. She can’t wait to move away from her sister, but she will be leaving Griffin, her best friend, behind. She doesn’t know what she will do without him. She lost her parents on September 11 and Griffin has been with her since she moved in with her grandparents.

She is now feeling overwhelmed with school. She feels like she can’t measure up and she is missing Griffin. His band is doing well and he isn’t around to talk to her every day. She is feeling forgotten and a failure. When she accidentally slices her finger with a razor blade and embraces the pain, she panics and calls Griffin. He makes her promise to call her therapist for help.

She gets herself under control and goes home for Christmas. Over break everything changes. Griffin is busy with his band for most of her break. She had to spend time really learning to understand what she wanted. She and Griffin finally are truthful with each other and it changes their relationship. Things are going great but when something unexpected occurs it can all come crashing down.

I really liked this book. Jillian is broken and blames herself for her parents’ deaths. So does her sister. The family is also broken. The only real support that Jillian has is Griffin and his family. She always has. The relationship was one of the central parts of the story. It was sweet and I was happy when it finally changed. I rooted for Jillian the entire time. I also really liked her character. She had issues and fears. She struggled with everything. The voices inside her head constantly tore down her confidence. She was very human and relatable. Grief and guilt rule her life. She used to cut herself to get rid of her pain. After she almost died she sought help. I like the positive message about that. Her doctor seemed awesome and what Jillian needed.

I also liked the accident. It made her face all her fears and embrace what she wanted. It was a great read. I loved it and definitely recommend it. I gave it a 5 out of 5.







No comments:

Post a Comment