Sunday

Review: 99 Days by Katie Cotugno



Book Blurb


Day 1: Julia Donnelly eggs my house my first night back in Star Lake, and that’s how I know everyone still remembers everything—how I destroyed my relationship with Patrick the night everything happened with his brother, Gabe. How I wrecked their whole family. Now I’m serving out my summer like a jail sentence: Just ninety-nine days till I can leave for college, and be done.

Day 4: A nasty note on my windshield makes it clear Julia isn’t finished. I’m expecting a fight when someone taps me on the shoulder, but it’s just Gabe, home from college and actually happy to see me. “For what it’s worth, Molly Barlow,” he says, “I’m really glad you’re back.”

Day 12: Gabe got me to come to this party, and I’m actually having fun. I think he’s about to kiss me—and that’s when I see Patrick. My Patrick, who’s supposed to be clear across the country. My Patrick, who’s never going to forgive me.


Links

Toot's Review by Stacy Sabala

Molly Barlow is back in Star Lake after a year and her house has already been egged. Apparently no one has forgotten what happened her junior year and is now forever recorded in one of her mom’s novels. No one wants to have anything to do with her, except it seems Gabe. Her ex-boyfriend’s brother who she slept with at the end of her sophomore year which caused all of this in the first place.

He seems to want to spend time with her. So she does. He brings her out of hiding and they hang out together. She also starts to heal her relationship with her best friend Imogen. She even becomes friends with Patrick’s new girlfriend Tess. She even reaches out to Patrick to heal their relationship and try to maybe be friends. They have so much history.

Molly gets caught up in her confused feelings for Patrick. She doesn’t know how she feels about him. They start running together again and Patrick starts giving mixed signals. Molly really likes Gabe but she is reacting to Patrick. She knows what she is doing is wrong but she can’t stop herself. She has feelings for both of the Donnelly boys. However when everything comes out, Molly finally asks herself if this is even about her or the brothers’ competition with each other.

This book was crazy for me to read. I love how the author set it up for each day. You are quickly drawn into the social torture that Molly is subjected to. Everyone has turned on her and she has to deal. The author really points out in this story who takes the brunt of the blame. Gabe comes out a lot better than Molly in the whole situation. Then she goes home for the summer and I feel like it is complete mind games all around.

I really wanted to shake Molly. She put herself back into the same situation. That was hard to read because you could foresee exactly what was going to happen. She was going to lose everything again. It was definitely difficult to read. It was an emotional journey and I was hoping for the ending to be a bit more. Then I decided that the message there is more out there was needed. So I’m a bit torn with the ending. I will also say I’m a bit emotionally battered as a result. I give this book a 4 out of 5.








No comments:

Post a Comment